Subject: Re: [PATCH] include listenq max backlog in /proc/net/tcp and include in tcp_info

From: Rick Jones <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2007 10:35:35 -0700

> ss command from iproute2 package ( http://linux-net.osdl.org/index.php/Iproute2 )
> 
> Problem with /proc/net/tcp is its quadratic time O(N^2) to output N lines...

I could see where that might be a problem.

>>>Rick, could you add this part in your patch, and add my Sign-off-by ?
>>
>>My pleasure.
>>
>>I have a small test program for the tcp_info bit - where do I go to find 
>>how the inet diag stuff works?
> 
> 
> ss state listen

hpcpc103:~# ss --version
ss utility, iproute2-ss070313
hpcpc103:~# ss state listen
ss: no socket states to show with such filter.
hpcpc103:~# ss --all
State      Recv-Q Send-Q      Local Address:Port          Peer 
Address:Port
LISTEN     0      128                     *:sunrpc                   *:* 

LISTEN     0      128                     *:auth                     *:* 

LISTEN     0      128                    :::ssh                     :::* 

LISTEN     0      20              127.0.0.1:smtp                     *:* 

LISTEN     0      128                     *:42137                    *:* 

> 
> 
>>BTW, what do people think about doing the same thing with the rxqueue 
>>and txqueue's of netstat output?
>>
> 
> 
> I dont understand this question, I thought your patch already handled this 
> (for the txqueue, since rxqueue is already there),  as netstat uses 
> /proc/net/tcp (unfortunatly)

Well, it doesn't seem to be the case.  This is from the same system as 
the ss output above:

hpcpc103:~# netstat -an | grep LISTEN
tcp        0      0 0.0.0.0:111          0.0.0.0:*               LISTEN
tcp        0      0 0.0.0.0:113          0.0.0.0:*               LISTEN
tcp        0      0 127.0.0.1:25         0.0.0.0:*               LISTEN
tcp        0      0 0.0.0.0:42137        0.0.0.0:*               LISTEN
tcp6       0      0 :::22                :::*                    LISTEN
unix  2    [ ACC ]     STREAM   LISTENING   5666  /var/run/acpid.socket

I thought I saw some other code in there when I was stumbling around.

rick