Subject: Re: [PATCH]: Preliminary release of Sun Neptune driver

From: Rick Jones <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2007 16:20:39 -0700

>>+#define DRV_MODULE_NAME		"niu"
>>+#define PFX DRV_MODULE_NAME	": "
>>+#define DRV_MODULE_VERSION	"0.06"
>>+#define DRV_MODULE_RELDATE	"September 18, 2007"
>>+
>>+static char version[] __devinitdata =
>>+	DRV_MODULE_NAME ".c:v" DRV_MODULE_VERSION " (" DRV_MODULE_RELDATE ")\n";
>>+
>>+MODULE_AUTHOR("David S. Miller ([email-masked])");
>>+MODULE_DESCRIPTION("NIU ethernet driver");
>>+MODULE_LICENSE("GPL");
>>+MODULE_VERSION(DRV_MODULE_VERSION);

A somewhat pedantic question... some grepping in a kernel tree suggests 
the obvious name "netptune" is at least already taken for PCI ID macros:

hpcpc105:~/linux-2.6.23-rc5# grep -i neptune ./drivers/scsi/lpfc/lpfc_hw.h
#define PCI_DEVICE_ID_NEPTUNE       0xf0f5
#define PCI_DEVICE_ID_NEPTUNE_SCSP  0xf0f6
#define PCI_DEVICE_ID_NEPTUNE_DCSP  0xf0f7

and shows-up in comments elsewhere, but that same (perhaps too cursory?) 
search didn't seem to find "neptune" used as  an actual module/driver 
name, so why "niu?"  To what does niu translate anyway?

sincerely,

rick jones
now left with the quandry of whether to run netperf against a driver for 
a card from a .com other than his own or an OEM :) On the plus side 
though, this driver has no EULA restrictions :)