Subject: [ofa-general] Re: [PATCHES] TX batching

From: "Kok, Auke" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2007 00:00:23 -0700

jamal wrote:
> On Sun, 2007-23-09 at 12:36 -0700, Kok, Auke wrote:
> 
>> please be reminded that we're going to strip down e1000 and most of the features
>> should go into e1000e, which has much less hardware workarounds. I'm still
>> reluctant to putting in new stuff in e1000 - I really want to chop it down first ;)
> 
> sure - the question then is, will you take those changes if i use
> e1000e? theres a few cleanups that have nothing to do with batching;
> take a look at the modified e1000 on the git tree.

that's bad to begin with :) - please send those separately so I can fasttrack them
into e1000e and e1000 where applicable.

But yes, I'm very inclined to merge more features into e1000e than e1000. I intend
to put multiqueue support into e1000e, as *all* of the hardware that it will
support has multiple queues. Putting in any other performance feature like tx
batching would absolutely be interesting.

Auke