Subject: Re: [RFD] iptables: mangle table obsoletes filter table

From: Patrick McHardy <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Oct 2007 15:48:59 +0200

Jan Engelhardt wrote:
> On Oct 12 2007 16:30, Al Boldi wrote:
>>>>
>>>>With the existence of the mangle table, how useful is the filter table?
>>>
>>>A similar discussion was back in March 2007.
>>>http://marc.info/?l=netfilter-devel&m=117394977210823&w=2
>>>http://marc.info/?l=netfilter-devel&m=117400063907706&w=2
>>>
>>>in the end, my proposal was something like
>>>http://jengelh.hopto.org/GFX0/nf_proposal2.svg
>>
>>Any chance you could publish this as something readable like text/html?
> 
> 
> Like, image/png?
> http://jengelh.hopto.org/GFX0/nf_proposal2.png

The netlink based iptables successor I'm currently working on allows to
dynamically create tables with user-specified priorities and "built-in"
chains. The only built-in tables will be those that need extra
processing (mangle/nat). So it should be possible to set up tables
basically any way you desire.