Subject: Re: [RFD] iptables: mangle table obsoletes filter table

From: Bill Davidsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2007 19:24:16 -0400

Bill Davidsen wrote:

>>>> If not, then shouldn't the filter table be obsoleted to avoid 
>>>> confusion?
>>> That would probably confuse people. Just don't use it if you don't
>>> need to.
>>
> That is a most practical suggestion.
> 
>> The problem is that people think they are safe with the filter table, 
>> when in fact they need the prerouting chain to seal things.  Right now 
>> this is only possible in the mangle table.
>>
> I'm not sure what you think is unsafe about using the filter table, and 
> the order of evaluation issues certainly seem to suggest that some 
> actions would take a major rethink at least. Perhaps you could avoid 
> breaking all of the setups which currently work, rather than force 
> everyone to do things differently because you feel that your way is better.
> 
It was my intention to suggest that unintentional breakage of existing 
setups should be avoided, not that removing the filter table was some 
evil plot. ;-)
On rereading my original post I failed to make that clear, please take 
it as intended.

-- 
Bill Davidsen <[email-masked]>
   "We have more to fear from the bungling of the incompetent than from
the machinations of the wicked."  - from Slashdot