Subject: Re: [PATCH RESEND] ip_gre: sendto/recvfrom NBMA address

From: Timo Teräs <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2007 08:54:42 +0300

Hi,

Alexey Kuznetsov wrote:
>> The only dubious case is when next hop is set using routing tables.
>> But code in ipgre_tunnel_xmit() is ready to accept this situation,
>> it checks for zero destination address and fixes it when it is able to.
> 
> Nevertheless, it does not work.
> 
> Another thoughts?

Could you explain this a little more?

I was able to set a nbma gre tunnel, add routes to it and it worked
perfectly ok.

Link-level next hop worked:
ip route add <route> via <link-level-address> dev <tunnel-dev> onlink

Also normal route with static neighbor worked:
ip neigh add <router-tunnel-ip> lladdr <link-level-address> nud permanent dev <tunnel-dev>
ip route add <route> via <router-tunnel-ip>

In both cases packets were routed as expected to hosts accessible using
the added route. And sendto() sent a packet correctly with destination
link-level-address set. Did I miss/misunderstand something?

Cheers,
  Timo