Subject: Re: [PATCH 0/5] Make nicer CONFIG_NET_NS=n case code

From: Daniel Lezcano <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2007 22:37:11 +0100

Pavel Emelyanov wrote:
> Currently we have the NET_NS config option, but the only change it 
> makes is just return ERR_PTR(-EINVAL) inside the cloning call thus
> introducing a bunch of a dead code and making the reference counting
> unneeded. This is not very good.
> 
> So clean the net_namespace.c to fix this.
> 
> I have sent a set of patches to Andrew to make similar thing for
> other namespaces, which introduces the NAMESPACES option to turn
> all the namespaces off at once (to make embedded people suffer
> less). So after that stuff is in, there will be some more patches 
> to tie all this together.
> 
> What is to be done after this set is to make the register_pernet_xxx
> stuff smaller. Currently this code weights approximately 500 bytes, 
> so it worths reducing it, but I haven't found a good solution yet.

Did you had time to check the impact of your patch with the rest of the 
network namespaces not yet included in mainline, belonging to Eric's git 
tree ?

ps: can you cc' emails concerning the network namespace to the 
containers mailing list too ? thx.