Subject: Re: [PATCH 2/2] [e1000 VLAN] Disable vlan hw accel when promiscuous mode

From: Patrick McHardy <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Nov 2007 13:18:38 +0100

Herbert Xu wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 13, 2007 at 04:06:24AM -0800, David Miller wrote:
>>> In other words we can make it so that nobody is in promiscuous
>>> mode and therefore have to disable VLAN acceleration *unless*
>>> they really want to be in that state.  In which case it would
>>> imply that they wish to see everything and therefore we should
>>> disable VLAN acceleration.
>> This is too complicated, we have multiple unicast MAC support
>> in the driver API already, let's simply use it.
> 
> Yes I agree.  People not using Patrick's new API deserves to
> get poor performance so they can switch over sooner :)
> 
> What I was trying to say above is that e1000 currently uses
> the old set_multicast_list interface (rather than dev_set_rx_mode)
> so it's not immediately obvious why we're in promiscuous mode.
> We could look at dev->promiscuity - !!uc_count but that feels a
> bit fragile.
> 
> Perhaps those who want to push this patch should be encouraged
> to convert e1000 to the new interface :)

I already posted a patch for this, not sure what happened to it.
Auke, any news on merging the secondary unicast address support?