Subject: Re: [BUG] New Kernel Bugs

From: Gabriel C <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Nov 2007 19:57:29 +0100

Adrian Bunk wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 13, 2007 at 12:13:56PM -0500, Theodore Tso wrote:
>> On Tue, Nov 13, 2007 at 04:52:32PM +0100, Benoit Boissinot wrote:
>>> Btw, I used to test every -mm kernel. But since I've switched distros
>>> (gentoo->ubuntu)
>>> and I have less time, I feel it's harder to test -rc or -mm kernels (I
>>> know this isn't a lkml problem
>>> but more a distro problem, but I would love having an ubuntu blessed
>>> repo with current dev kernel
>>> for the latest stable ubuntu release).
>> There are two parts to this.  One is a Ubuntu development kernel which
>> we can give to large numbers of people to expand our testing pool.
>> But if we don't do a better job of responding to bug reports that
>> would be generated by expanded testing this won't necessarily help us.
>> ...
> 
> The main problem is finding experienced developers who spend time on 
> looking into bug reports.

There are already. IMO the problem is the development model.

There are tons new features in each new kernel release and 'tons new bugs'
which are not fixed during the release cycle nor in the .XX stable kernels.

Maybe after XX kernel releases there should be one just with bug-fixes _without_ any
new features , eg: cleaning bugs from bugzilla , know regressions , cleaning up code , 
removing broken drivers and the like.

> cu
> Adrian

Gabriel