Subject: Re: [BUG] New Kernel Bugs

From: Larry Finger <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2007 08:49:31 -0600

Ingo Molnar wrote:
> * Mark Lord <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
>>> You're assuming that everything in linux-2.6 was downloaded; that's 
>>> not true.  Everything in linux-2.6/.git was downloaded; but then you 
>>> do a checkout which happens to approximately double the size of the 
>>> linux-2.6 directory.
>> ..
>>
>> Ah, I wondered why it took only half an hour to download.
> 
> and you can get even lower than the 260MB by downloading a shallow clone 
> of v2.6.23 and then populating the git tree from tht point on. (see the 
> --depth parameter of git-clone) [because most of the time you want to 
> bisect back to the last stable release, not back to 2 years of git 
> history.]

When creating additional git trees (Linville's wireless-2.6 tree, for example) for driver
development, you can save a lot of download bandwidth by using the --reference parameter of git-clone.

Larry