Subject: Re: [PATCH] via-velocity: don't oops on MTU change.

From: Jarek Poplawski <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 17 Nov 2007 16:04:49 +0100

Jon Nelson wrote, On 11/17/2007 01:59 AM:
...

> OK. This is what I did.
> Using git I grabbed a copy of Linus' tree and using the latest files
> for via-velocity.[c,h], commit
> 99fee6d7e5748d96884667a4628118f7fc130ea0, I determined that if I
> backed out change 44c10138fd4bbc4b6d6bff0873c24902f2a9da65 (PCI:
> Change all drivers to use pci_device->revision) I could get it to
> compile. This gets me a more recent driver.
> 
> Then I applied both of the patches you have provided me, and built and
> tried that.
> No sigseg, no oops on initial MTU, no sigseg or oops on subsequent MTU changes.

Good news! But, if I got it right your method could be tricky. These
current via-velocity files could depend on other files being current
as well. So, it's safer to use the whole new kernel (eg. 2.6.24-rc3)
or to stay with your older one. But, if you want to check the effect
of these new two patches only without any additional 'features', your
older kernel should be a better choice.

Regards,
Jarek P.