Subject: Re: [PATCH] e1000e: Use deferrable timer for watchdog

From: "Kok, Auke" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2007 10:49:22 -0800

Parag Warudkar wrote:
> On Dec 20, 2007 12:05 PM, Kok, Auke <[email-masked]> wrote:
>> I can't even apply this patch and the e1000 one... not only is it whitespace
>> damaged it is also not properly formatted as patch at all. If you want me to take
>> these patches seriously, then please fix the formatting issues.
> 
> Sigh - I use Pine, follow Documents/email-clients.txt for the
> recommended settings and obviously the pathces are not generated with
> whitespace damage at my end as I test those before sending out.
> 
> So although I hate to see this happen there is nothing at this moment
> that I can do - except for attaching the patch instead of inlining it.
> Since they have already been reviewed inline, please see if the
> attached patches work for you.

here's what the files in my Maildir spool look like in vim (my vim displays a '»'
char for tabs and a "¶" for EOL):

 76 --- linux-2.6/drivers/net/e1000e/netdev.c»      2007-12-07 10:04:39.00000000
 77 +++ linux-2.6-work/drivers/net/e1000e/netdev.c» 2007-12-18 20:45:59.00000000
 78 @@ -3899,7 +3899,7 @@¶
 79   »     »       goto err_eeprom;¶
 80   »     }¶
 81 ¶
 82 -»      init_timer(&adapter->watchdog_timer);¶
 83 +»      init_timer_deferrable(&adapter->watchdog_timer);¶
 84   »     adapter->watchdog_timer.function = &e1000_watchdog;¶
 85   »     adapter->watchdog_timer.data = (unsigned long) adapter;¶
 86 ¶
 87 --¶

notice that there are two spaces instead of 1. Also there's no line heading the
diff with 'diff a/foo b/foo' which is what throws of stg. And the -p option is
missing.

as for content, the patch looks OK with me. I ran the numbers and allthough there
was a slight average delay in the link up detection time it is negligeable (less
than 0.2sec difference over a bunch of measurements), and I confirmed your
powertop numbers are correct. As for the timer interval, the watchdog may already
be delayed up to 3 seconds safely, this doesn't change that.

I'll forward the patch, Care to make one for e100? plenty of laptops with those
still around! The embedded guys would love it I think.

Thanks,

Auke