Subject: Re: Top 10 kernel oopses for the week ending January 5th, 2008

From: Kevin Winchester <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 07 Jan 2008 21:19:24 -0400

J. Bruce Fields wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 05, 2008 at 09:39:35PM +0000, Al Viro wrote:
>> On Sat, Jan 05, 2008 at 01:06:17PM -0800, Arjan van de Ven wrote:
>>> The http://www.kerneloops.org website collects kernel oops and 
>>> warning reports from various mailing lists and bugzillas as well 
>>> as with a client users can install to auto-submit oopses. Below 
>>> is a top 10 list of the oopses collected in the last 7 days. 
>>> (Reports prior to 2.6.23 have been omitted in collecting the top 
>>> 10)
>>> 
>>> This week, a total of 49 oopses and warnings have been reported,
>>>  compared to 53 reports in the previous week.
>> FWIW, people moaning about the lack of entry-level kernel work 
>> would do well by decoding those to the level of "this place in this
>>  function, called from <here>, with so-and-so variable being
>> <this>" and posting the results.  As skills go, it's far more
>> useful than "how to trim the trailing whitespace" and the rest of 
>> checkpatch.pl-inspired crap that got so popular lately...
> 
> Is there any good basic documentation on this to point people at?
> 

I would second this question.  I see people "decode" oops on lkml often enough, but I've never been entirely sure how its done.  Is it somewhere in Documentation?

-- 
Kevin Winchester