Subject: Re: [klibc] [patch] import socket defines

From: "H. Peter Anvin" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2008 23:10:07 -0800

Mike Frysinger wrote:
> oh, sorry, i see what you mean.  i was thinking in terms of crap removed (as 
> that's what i'm after), not crap added (which is what Peter is after).  i 
> hadnt noticed that.  i dont know if it'll break glibc (and really, any other 
> sane libc).  if that is the case, then i think klibc here is the 2nd class 
> citizen to everyone else.

I don't really understand why you insist on using such inflammatory 
language; all this stuff is ABI constants, and the only reason glibc 
doesn't use them is that glibc prefers to use enums over #defines.

Right now, glibc is special-cased.  glibc also tends to be very 
deliberate about its kernel header inclusions.  It wants a subset of the 
available defines, so it can include a subset header.

The reverse is definitely possible too -- all other users (kernel, 
newlib, dietlibc, uclibc, and klibc) can change and leave the current 
state for glibc.

We can special-case the kernel in the above case, but that would involve 
some additional ugliness.

	-hpa