Subject: Re: [PATCH 2/6][INET]: Consolidate inet(6)_hash_connect.

From: Pavel Emelyanov <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2008 16:18:51 +0300

Arnaldo Carvalho de Melo wrote:
> Em Thu, Jan 31, 2008 at 03:32:09PM +0300, Pavel Emelyanov escreveu:
>> These two functions are the same except for what they call
>> to "check_established" and "hash" for a socket.
>>
>> This saves half-a-kilo for ipv4 and ipv6.
> 
> Good stuff!
> 
> Yesterday I was perusing tcp_hash and I think we could have the hashinfo
> pointer stored perhaps in sk->sk_prot.
> 
> That way we would be able to kill tcp_hash(), inet_put_port() could
> receive just sk, etc.

But each proto will still have its own hashfn, so proto's 
callbacks will be called to hash/unhash sockets, so this will 
give us just one extra dereference. No?

> What do you think?

Hmmm... Even raw_hash, etc may become simpler. On the other hand
maybe this is a good idea, but I'm not very common with this code
yet to foresee such things in advance... I think that we should
try to prepare a patch and look, but if you have smth ready, then
it's better to review your stuff first.

> - Arnaldo

Thanks,
Pavel