Subject: Re: [PATCH] Disable TSO for non standard qdiscs

From: Jarek Poplawski <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2008 21:33:44 +0100

Andi Kleen wrote, On 01/31/2008 08:34 PM:

>> TSO by nature is bursty.  But disabling TSO without the option of having
>> it on or off to me seems to aggressive.  If someone is using a qdisc
>> that TSO is interfering with the effectiveness of the traffic shaping,
>> then they should turn off TSO via ethtool on the target device.  Some
> 
> The philosophical problem I have with this suggestion is that I expect
> that the large majority of users will be more happy with disabled TSO
> if they use non standard qdiscs and defaults that do not fit 
> the majority use case are bad.

If you mean the large majority of the large minority of users, who use
non standard qdiscs - I agree - this is really the philosophical problem!

> Basically you're suggesting that nearly everyone using tc should learn about
> another obscure command.

...So, it sounds like tc is used by nearly everyone now...

It seems my distro really isn't up to date:

"Package: iproute
 ...
 Description: Professional tools to control the networking in Linux kernels
 This is `iproute', the professional set of tools to control the
 networking behavior in kernels 2.2.x and later."

And ethtool doesn't have to be learnt at all: "most friendly distros"
could use this in config or add some graphical wrapper.

Regards,
Jarek P.