Subject: Re: kernel panic on 2.6.24 with esfq patch applied

From: Jarek Poplawski <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 02 Feb 2008 23:19:52 +0100

Corey Hickey wrote, On 02/02/2008 11:23 AM:
 ...

> I'd rather you were using my recent patches to SFQ instead of ESFQ. I
> was able to crash a 2.6.24 user-mode Linux with ESFQ as well; I don't
> know if that's what you encountered, but the SFQ patches should be
> better anyway.
> 
> http://fatooh.org/esfq-2.6/sfq-2.6.24.tar.bz2
> http://fatooh.org/esfq-2.6/

Hi Corey!

I've just had a look at your site, and see you're a bit disappointed about
the reception of your patches here. I don't use nor know about your work
(maybe some time...), and wish you better public here, but maybe you'll
find this story interesting: a few years ago, when I didn't even think of
reading netdev, I quite often visited pages of such projects as HTB (not
in every distro yet), IMQ or Julian Anastasov's. They were quite popular
subjects on admins lists, and I really admired people around these
projects, while the main kernel was something big and anonymous (no idea
e.g. about D. Miller). For the same reason I knew more about people from
iptables project - only because there was a need to visit this for some
non standard modules, and about A. Kuznetsov - only because of patching
iproute for HTB!!! (Only later I found that Alexey did more than needed
for several such HTBs.) So, it seems there could be good side of such
unofficial status too - if you only have something really useful for
others...

Cheers,
Jarek P.