Subject: Re: kernel panic on 2.6.24 with esfq patch applied

From: Corey Hickey <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 02 Feb 2008 14:53:28 -0800

Jarek Poplawski wrote:
> Hi Corey!
> 
> I've just had a look at your site, and see you're a bit disappointed about
> the reception of your patches here. I don't use nor know about your work
> (maybe some time...), and wish you better public here, but maybe you'll
> find this story interesting: a few years ago, when I didn't even think of
> reading netdev, I quite often visited pages of such projects as HTB (not
> in every distro yet), IMQ or Julian Anastasov's. They were quite popular
> subjects on admins lists, and I really admired people around these
> projects, while the main kernel was something big and anonymous (no idea
> e.g. about D. Miller). For the same reason I knew more about people from
> iptables project - only because there was a need to visit this for some
> non standard modules, and about A. Kuznetsov - only because of patching
> iproute for HTB!!! (Only later I found that Alexey did more than needed
> for several such HTBs.) So, it seems there could be good side of such
> unofficial status too - if you only have something really useful for
> others...

Thank you for the words of encouragement, but don't worry: I'm not going
to run away and hide just yet. :)  I was a bit discouraged about not
getting reviews for the more recent patch submissions, though, and I
hope I don't come across as bitter about that. Patch review is a lot of
work, and I definitely appreciate the comments I received earlier--I was
able to make many improvements as a result.

In any case, kernel development progresses, and I now have to update my
patches so they can apply to current git. The ball has rolled back into
my court of its own accord; perhaps the playing field isn't level. ;)

-Corey