Subject: Re: [patch 2/4] forcedeth: fix MAC address detection on network card (regression in 2.6.23)

From: Jeff Garzik <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 05 Feb 2008 13:42:01 -0500

H. Peter Anvin wrote:
> Jeff Garzik wrote:
>>>
>>> Signed-off-by: Andrew Morton <[email-masked]>
>>
>> NAK - this fixes one set of users, and breaks a working set of users.
>>
>> Need to add DMI check for the specific motherboard (dmi_check_system), 
>> and flip flag according to success/failure of that check.
>>
> 
> Either that, or detect the Gigabyte prefix used as a suffix, since they 
> seem to be the source of this particular f*ckup.

Indeed, that would work too...  though we would need to put out a call 
for Gigabyte testers during 2.6.25-rc.

It is an entirely reasonable scenario for NVIDIA to deploy a fix to 
Gigabyte, which would then return us to the same scenario we have today: 
  some work and some don't.

That's my main reason for leaning more conservative here.

	Jeff