Subject: Patch: [NET]: Remove CONFIG_PROC_FS depency for pcounter inuse

From: Oliver Hartkopp <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 01 Mar 2008 06:19:51 +0100

Hi all,

attached you'll find a patch that fixes the depency that has been 
introduced in commit 65f7651788e18fadb2fbb7276af935d7871e1803 ([NET]: 
prot_inuse cleanups and optimizations).

As the inuse counters are only used by internet protocols right now, 
using CONFIG_INET would have been more obvious to recognize this illegal 
optimization here. Going a bit deeper into this problem we can see, that 
the pcounters are ONLY used for the internet protocols BUT initialized 
for ALL protocols in proto_[un|]register() in net/core/sock.c.

This forces all network protocols to initialize the pcounters and 
therefore request dynamic percpu memory even when it is not used at all.

I would suggest to

1. move the ..._inuse_[init|free]() stuff from sock.c to af_inet[|6].c 
and his friends

OR

2. add new parameters to proto_[un|]register() like 'alloc_inuse' and 
'free_inuse'

My favourite sollution would be the second one but before creating a 
patch for one of these suggestions, i wanted to ask for your opinion or 
if there is any 'even nicer' idea from your side.

Regards,
Oliver

[NET]: Remove CONFIG_PROC_FS depency for pcounter inuse

The pcounters are initialized for each protocol and could also be used outside
CONFIG_INET context which forces CONFIG_PROC_FS to be set.

Signed-off-by: Oliver Hartkopp <[email-masked]>

diff --git a/include/net/sock.h b/include/net/sock.h
index fd98760..505ac6f 100644
--- a/include/net/sock.h
+++ b/include/net/sock.h
@@ -552,9 +552,7 @@ struct proto {
 	int			(*get_port)(struct sock *sk, unsigned short snum);
 
 	/* Keeping track of sockets in use */
-#ifdef CONFIG_PROC_FS
 	struct pcounter		inuse;
-#endif
 
 	/* Memory pressure */
 	void			(*enter_memory_pressure)(void);