Subject: Re: network namespace ipv6 perfs

From: Daniel Lezcano <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 03 Mar 2008 21:01:18 +0100

Rick Jones wrote:
> Daniel Lezcano wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Some performance tests was made by Benjamin to watch out the impact of 
>> the network namespace. The good news is there is no impact when used 
>> with or without namespaces. That has been checked using a real network 
>> device inside a network namespace.
> 
> The *_RR tests seem to show a drop in througput and corresponding 
> increases in service demand - could that be because things like TSO et 
> al cannot mask much of anything in the way of a path-length increase?

Hmm. In fact Benjamin took the 2.6.23.16 kernel where there were no 
network namespace code at all. So these differences between 2.6.23.16 
and 2.6.25-rc1 does not show a performance degradation especially 
related to the network namespaces. The important point is the 2.6.25-rc1 
without ipv6 netns and 2.6.25-rc1 with ipv6 netns code applied, I mean 
the second and the third line and we can point that the ipv6 netns code 
does not degrade performances for either throughput and service demand.

>  From the annotations, I'm ass-u-me-ing that NS was only used on the 
> netperf side and not both netperf and netserver side?

right :)

> happy benchmarking,

Thanks Rick.

   -- Daniel