Subject: Re: [PATCH] net: use DECLARE_PCI_DEVICE_TABLE

From: Jonas Bonn <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 07 Mar 2008 08:58:54 +0100

Andrew Morton wrote:
> Bah.
> 
> a) DECLARE_PCI_DEVICE_TABLE is misnamed.  It is used to *define* tables,
>    not to declare them.  It should be called DEFINE_PCI_DEVICE_TABLE.
> 

Fair enough...

> b) It's lame, anyway.  We could implement any number of such helper
>    thingies, but we choose not to.
> 

When I originally proposed these cleanups, I posted opened-coded 
versions.  That was deemed to be ugly and using a macro was suggested. 
So now I've reworked this with a macro, and now the macro is being 
deemed to be ugly, too!

The point of this exercise wasn't really to do a macro at all; the point 
was to get these structures marked 'const'  and into __devinitconst 
where they belong.  Whether the open-coded approach or the macro is the 
way to go, is all the same to me; any guidance on how to proceed would 
be appreciated.