Subject: Re: [regression] e1000e broke e1000

From: Dan Noe <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 08 Apr 2008 16:12:29 -0400

Matthew Wilcox wrote:
> It's almost trivial to add new string attributes to sysfs.  We could
> have a file, say, /sys/bus/pci/devices/0000:07:03.0/broken which
> lspci could read to see if anything's left a message for us.
> 
> Is that the kind of thing you had in mind?

I would consider this a worthwhile addition to the kernel (and lspci). 
It would be nice if lspci could display what driver had claimed a 
particular device, and which devices were unclaimed by any driver or 
otherwise had an error that prevented initialization.

I don't have enough experience to gauge how invasive this would be, but 
I'd be happy to contribute towards it if practical.

Cheers,
Dan

-- 
                     /--------------- - -  -  -   -   -
                     |  Daniel Noe
                     |  http://isomerica.net/~dpn/

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
This SF.net email is sponsored by the 2008 JavaOne(SM) Conference 
Register now and save $200. Hurry, offer ends at 11:59 p.m., 
Monday, April 7! Use priority code J8TLD2. 
http://ad.doubleclick.net/clk;198757673;13503038;p?http://java.sun.com/javaone