Subject: Re: 2.6.25-rc8: FTP transfer errors

From: Tilman Schmidt <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Apr 2008 02:56:49 +0200

David Miller schrieb:
> From: Mark Lord <[email-masked]>
> Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2008 20:16:11 -0400
> 
>> Duh.. more like, "If I take 5-8 hours to attempt a bisect (which may not
>> even work), then that's 5-8 hours I do not get paid for."
> 
> And if I invest my spare time on your bug how does this statement
> apply to me?  Or does it only apply to you?
> 
> Every single argument you make that supports why you should not be
> investing the necessary time into the bug applies equally to the
> very developers you are so quickly to quip at and want help from.

I think you got it backwards. Mark and other bug reporters (including,
at times, yours truly) are helping you and other developers to make
Linux better. Most of the times I report a bug, I am not asking for help
- I have no personal need to get it fixed, as I can easily avoid it, and
I only report it to give developers like you a chance to fix it before
it really hurts someone - and I gather that Mark has been in a similar
position wrt to the bug in question.

So what would you have us do? Not report the bugs we find so that you
don't have to invest your spare time on "our" bugs? Report them and
accept a rebuke for our "unwillingness" to do even more benevolent work
than we already did? Report only those for which we really need a fix,
and are consequently willing to invest additional time?

Thanks,
Tilman