Subject: Re: [patch] e1000=y && e1000e=m regression fix

From: Jeff Garzik <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 11 Apr 2008 19:43:49 -0400

Linus Torvalds wrote:
> .. but that said, I think your patch is certainly better than what we have 
> now (or what Ingo was complaining about for the next merge window). I 
> certainly could live with it. I would just suggest against ever then 
> removing that "generic E1000" choice.

You mean never ever remove PCI-E support from e1000?

Won't that will inflict long term headaches on the people that matter 
most -- users and maintainers -- to avoid short term headaches for 
kernel power users?

To review the overall situation,

* e1000 supports so many chips, that making a change for new hardware in 
e1000 involves breaking stability of older chips

* //You know this// from past kernel history, when late-breaking e1000 
changes for new hardware wound up breaking working setups on multiple 
occasions

* There is 100% agreement that e1000 is a maintenance nightmare, from 
the people who actually touch the code (or even read it).

* Therefore, e1000e receives new h/w support and new devel, leaving 
e1000 to sit and be stable

However, due to a mistake now released to the public -- a tiny few PCI-E 
chips are supported by e1000 -- you have a widely disparate feature set:

	e1000, old chips:		full support

	e1000, a few PCI-E chips:	basic support

	e1000e, all PCI-E chips:	full support

Since e1000e is all new and fancy AND CLEAN, the code for the same chips 
is different -- thus Intel must make every PCI-E fix _twice_.

It also means WE HAVE TO KEEP TOUCHING E1000, while supporting PCI-E 
chips.  After this PCI-E issue is resolved, I want to let e1000 sit and 
be stable and not be touched.

For a temporary situation, this is fine.  Give me transition 
suggestions, please!

For a permanent situation, that sucks.

Distros will ship e1000 sans PCI-E support, which means you are asking 
that PCI-E support be maintained indefinitely, purely for the few kernel 
hackers that still use it?

I __don't care__ how we get there, but a permanent situation where e1000 
continues to support a few PCI-E chips in basic mode seems the least 
desireable of all available options.

Wait six months?  Sure.  Whatever.  As long as we get to where we can 
disable PCI-E support in e1000.

	Jeff

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
This SF.net email is sponsored by the 2008 JavaOne(SM) Conference 
Don't miss this year's exciting event. There's still time to save $100. 
Use priority code J8TL2D2. 
http://ad.doubleclick.net/clk;198757673;13503038;p?http://java.sun.com/javaone