Subject: Re: [RFC] updated Patch to option HSO driver to the kernel

From: Paulius Zaleckas <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Apr 2008 12:34:39 +0300

Oliver Neukum wrote:
> Am Montag, 21. April 2008 03:04:21 schrieb Paulius Zaleckas:
>> -               odev->mode_flags = USB_CDC_PACKET_TYPE_ALL_MULTICAST |
>> -                                  USB_CDC_PACKET_TYPE_DIRECTED |
>> -                                  USB_CDC_PACKET_TYPE_BROADCAST |
>> -                                  USB_CDC_PACKET_TYPE_MULTICAST;
> 
> Hi,
> 
> before you rip out the multicast stuff, do you have an idea why it was
> included in the first place? Is the device capable of operating in a
> real network topology where multicast would make sense?

It was there from the oldest version (0.6) I have, but in the dead code
as it is now. There was also a comment:
/* FIXME AJB, work out what we need to do with multicast */
It was addressed to Andrew Bird (added to CC)

IMO it doesn't make sense to do multicasting since actually it is
point-to-point and not ethernet traffic.
Currently I am studying if it is possible to convert current pseudo
ethernet interface to point-to-point one.