Subject: Re: [PATCH] [ETHTOOL]: Add support for large eeproms

From: Breno Leitao <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2008 15:17:26 -0300

David Miller wrote:
> From: "Tim Hockin" <[email-masked]>
> Date: Tue, 15 Apr 2008 10:07:21 -0700
>
>   
>> No device that I know of behaves that way.  It's certainly possible,
>> but I've never seen any sort of PROM device that has such a
>> requirement.
>>     
>
> Fair enough, let's apply the patch and see if anything explode :)
>   
I've just applied this patch, and I got something really strange now.  I 
got the following message "Magic number 0x00000000 does not match 0x669955aa
" when I try to dump the eeprom from my tg3 card (BCM5780S rev. 03). I 
suppose that somehow it isn't getting the correct NIC magic number.

Well, without the patch, I just got a "Cannnot allocate enough memory" 
message when I rung the ethtool command, but if I pass the length 
argument < 128k, then everything went ok.
Now, with the patch applied, I can't even dump  even using the length 
parameter, since I hit the same Magic number error.

Note that I didn't run the kernel from your tree, I just backport this 
patch to my current kernel 2.6.16, and tried it over a ppc machine. I'll 
run the kernel from your tree later and then post the result.

--
Breno Leitão
[email-masked]