Subject: Re: ISDN testing

From: Jeff Garzik <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2008 22:39:07 -0400

Andi Kleen wrote:
> Jeff Garzik <[email-masked]> writes:
>> Yeah, that's what my patchset does -- splits the "hisax" driver into
>> multiple smaller drivers.  Thus, "modprobe hisax" produces the results
>> that you are seeing.
> 
> That will break a lot of user's setup.

At present, yes :/  Yet another why it's not upstream :)

>> You'll need to determine which newly-created kernel module applies to
>> your hardware.  Let me know if you need help with that.  The new
>> drivers should be in
>> /lib/modules/2.6.25-isdn/kernel/drivers/isdn/hisax/ provided that you
>> enabled them in the kernel configuration.
> 
> One way to avoid that issue would be to continue having a dummy
> "hisax" module that just depends on all the other drivers with 
> a symbol reference.

I'm definitely open to any solution like this.  Unfortunately (as Frans, 
I think, pointed out) the hisax module routinely depends on critical 
setup info being passed as module options, mainly for non-PCI hardware.

One solution might be to create a dummy hisax module that calls 
foo_module_init() and foo_module_exit(), and stitch them together in an 
unconventional way.

	Jeff