Subject: Re: NIU - Sun Neptune 10g - Transmit timed out reset (2.6.24)

From: Jesper Krogh <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 09 May 2008 23:59:18 +0200

David Miller wrote:
> From: Jesper Krogh <[email-masked]>
> Date: Fri, 09 May 2008 20:32:53 +0200
> 
>> When it works I doesnt seem to be able to get it pass 500MB/s.
> 
> With this card you really need multiple cpus and multiple threads
> sending data through the card in order to fill the 10Gb pipe.
> 
> Single connections will not fill the pipe.

The server is a Sun X4600 with 8 x dual-core CPU's, setup with 64
NFS-threads. The other end of the fiber goes into a switch with gigabit
ports connected to 48 dual-core cpus. The test was done doing a dd on a
4.5GB file from the server to /dev/null on the clients.

The number of contextswitches seems enourmous.. over 120.000 sometimes.
When transmitting around the same amount of data (4xgigabit bonded with
802.3ad) 4x110MB/s the amount of contextswitches only reaches 3-4.000. I
have no idea if this has any relevance.

Should this setup not be able to fill the pipe?

-- 
Jesper