Subject: Re: NIU - Sun Neptune 10g - Transmit timed out reset (2.6.24)

From: Jesper Krogh <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 10 May 2008 00:48:32 +0200

Rick Jones wrote:
>> The number of contextswitches seems enourmous.. over 120.000 sometimes.
>> When transmitting around the same amount of data (4xgigabit bonded with
>> 802.3ad) 4x110MB/s the amount of contextswitches only reaches 3-4.000. I
>> have no idea if this has any relevance.
>>
>> Should this setup not be able to fill the pipe?
> 
> Into which slot was the Neptune inserted?  (sure will be nice to have 
> Alex Chiang's pci slot id patch in mainline one of these days :)
> 
> Is that slot x4, x8, x16?

I can find out excactly .. on monday. But shouldn't x4 be enough anyway?
wikipedia says 250MB/s pr. lane. And no slots is less than x4, so I
thought that it didn't matter to me.

> To which cpu(s) were the neptune's interrupts assigned? (grep <ethN> 
> /proc/interrupts)

Several

> Is the irqbalanced running?

Yes. I started by not running it, but saw that cpu 0 was saturated by
ksoftirqd

> Were any of the 16 CPUs in the system saturated during the test? (top 
> with all CPUs displayed)

Yes..
Cpu12 : 34.2%us,  5.9%sy,  0.0%ni,  0.0%id, 14.5%wa,  1.0%hi, 44.4%si, 
0.0%st

All others have idle time.

> Do you have/know of any diagrams showing the way the I/O slots are wired 
> to the rest of the system?

I havent dug into that. Probably naive, as I as, I expected som hardware
guys as Sun to have taken care of that, when I bought the recommended
10g card for their own server.

> Have you tried any tests without any filesystem involvement? 

no not yet. I'll try that.

-- 
Jesper