Subject: Re: [PATCH 1/9] Add TSO support

From: Jeff Garzik <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 May 2008 01:17:46 -0400

Ben Hutchings wrote:
> The SFC4000 controller does not have hardware support for TSO, and the
> core GSO code incurs a high cost in allocating and freeing skbs.  This
> TSO implementation uses lightweight packet header structures and is
> substantially faster.
> 
> Signed-off-by: Ben Hutchings <[email-masked]>
> ---
>  drivers/net/sfc/efx.c        |    4 +-
>  drivers/net/sfc/ethtool.c    |   27 ++
>  drivers/net/sfc/net_driver.h |   14 +
>  drivers/net/sfc/tx.c         |  664 ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
>  4 files changed, 708 insertions(+), 1 deletions(-)

applied 1-9, with two comments:

1) your subject line is missing a useful prefix.  see
http://linux.yyz.us/patch-format.html

2) normally TSO addition would not be permitting during the 
bug-fixes-only phase of the kernel development (2.6.26-rc is current), 
but since the driver is new, it is reasonable because there can be no 
regressions