Subject: Re: NIU - Sun Neptune 10g - Transmit timed out reset (2.6.24)

From: Jesper Krogh <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 May 2008 21:03:34 +0200

Jesper Krogh wrote:
> David Miller wrote:
>> From: Jesper Krogh <[email-masked]>
>> Date: Sat, 10 May 2008 13:01:08 +0200
>>
>>> Any good suggestions about the "Transmit timed out" messages. It
>>> currently leads to a system that "doesnt die" but doesnt respond within
>>> 15 minutes of load of the network adapter.
>>
>> It's likely some bug in the driver that hangs the card for whatever
>> reason, which we'll need to work out.
> 
> Ok. I have been testing a bit more. It generally works fine, It seems
> the "transmit timed out" thing was provoked by dd in the tests, because
> it was creating a lot of small requests. (default bs=512).(over NFS).
> When the  blocksize went up, the problem dissapered. (and the numer of
> context-switches went down).

Ok. Now I also hit it in production with the NFS-server, so this
is definately a real bug somewhere in the driver. Should I register it
at bugzilla?

$ sudo grep -ci "Transmit timed out" /var/log/messages
1007

And only a hard reboot brought it back online.
2.6.25.2

-- 
Jesper