Subject: Re: rtt metric only for incoming connections?

From: Rick Jones <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 May 2008 11:53:38 -0700

>>Also, it seems we can't lower the initial RTO below the RFC 1122
>>default of 3 seconds. 3 seconds may be appropriate for a host
>>for which we don't know how many hops, links, satellites are
>>needed to reach it, but what about local/corporate networks
>>where it's possible to administratively know the rtt so that it
>>can be hardcoded in the routing table.
> 
> 
> Violating RFC's is not really that useful. 

Yet the RFC's are not stone tablets, and they often represent a 
"compromise" between things desirable for the great big internet and 
those someone with a bounded network might have.

> If you have a network dropping SYN packets regularly than there are
> worse problems.

That is entirely plausible.

> Relying on TCP to overcome wireless network problems is not
> a good idea.

How is it any worse than relying on TCP to overcome network congestion 
problems?-)

rick jones