Subject: Re: [PATCH] firmware: convert e100 driver to request_firmware()

From: Jeff Garzik <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 15 Jun 2008 15:00:06 -0400

David Woodhouse wrote:
> On Mon, 2008-06-16 at 00:04 +0530, Jaswinder Singh wrote:
>> driver source code will goto drivers directory and firmware will goto
>> firmware directory.
>> Please let us know, how can we keep them in same directory.
> 
> Realistically speaking, we can't.

Of course you can.  That's where we keep binary firmwares now -- with 
the drivers.

And, shockingly enough, it makes maintenance nice and easy to keep 
everything in one location.

> Although we'll preserve the option to
> build firmware blobs into the kernel image, the primary means of using
> them should be running 'make firmware_install' and having them put
> into /lib/firmware. It's better for them to be in the firmware/
> directory.

You have not built any logical connection with this statement.

Kernel modules are installed via 'make modules_install', and we don't 
have any special directory requirements for that.

There is absolutely no reason why 'make firmware_install' cannot work on 
firmwares in existing directories.

	Jeff

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Check out the new SourceForge.net Marketplace.
It's the best place to buy or sell services for
just about anything Open Source.
http://sourceforge.net/services/buy/index.php