Subject: Re: How come realtek drivers are combined

From: Mario Limonciello <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Jun 2008 10:24:04 -0500

Francois:

Francois Romieu wrote:
> I made it this way.
Ah.
> Given that the choice of operating systems for laptops on Dell's online
> shop does not include my favorite OS, "everyone" seems a bit of an
> overstatement to me (sorry, could not resist :o) ).
>   
You go and offer Redhat on business portables, and they want Ubuntu. 
You offer Ubuntu on consumer portables and then they want $(INSERT
DISTRO HERE) :)
Offering this to every consumer as an option with every laptop though,
that will take some time.  For now, the consumers that want it can go to
http://www.dell.com/linux
> Compare two versions of the same driver from Realtek and you should
> realize that you are addressing a false problem.
>   
This is sometimes a bit difficult to do since I didn't see historical
versioning on their website.  It was a hunch, however.

Now I did see a fair deal of patches floating in from you, so I'll clone
your netdev git tree and give this a run on some of the RTL8101's that
are having trouble.

Thanks for the thorough explanation,
-- 
Mario Limonciello
*Dell | Linux Engineering*
[email-masked]