Subject: Re: [bug?] tg3: Failed to load firmware "tigon/tg3_tso.bin"

From: Jeff Garzik <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 03 Jul 2008 09:38:28 -0400

David Woodhouse wrote:
>> dwmw2 has been told repeatedly that his changes will cause PRECISELY 
>> these problems, but he refuses to take the simple steps necessary to 
>> ensure people can continue to boot their kernels after his changes go in.
> 
> Complete nonsense. Setting CONFIG_FIRMWARE_IN_KERNEL isn't hard. But
> shouldn't be the _default_, either.
> 
>> Presently his tg3 changes have been nak'd, in part, because of this 
>> obviously, forseeable, work-around-able breakage.
> 
> They haven't even been reviewed. Nobody seems to have actually looked at

Yes, they have.  You just didn't like the answers you received.

In particular, the Kconfig default for built-in tg3 firmware should 
result in the current behavior, without the user having to take extra steps.

Because of your stubborn refusal on this Kconfig defaults issue, WE 
ALREADY HAVE DRIVER-DOES-NOT-WORK BREAKAGE, JUST AS PREDICTED.

Wake up and smell reality.  Please.

	Jeff