Subject: Re: [bug?] tg3: Failed to load firmware "tigon/tg3_tso.bin"

From: Jeff Garzik <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 07 Jul 2008 15:16:15 -0400

Alan Cox wrote:
> On Mon, 07 Jul 2008 14:57:56 -0400
> Jeff Garzik <[email-masked]> wrote:
> 
>> Alan Cox wrote:
>>>> When the firmware travels with the module, as it does today in tg3, bnx2 
>>>> and others, is the most reliable system available.  The simplest, the 
>>>> least amount of "parts", the easiest to upgrade, the best method to 
>>>> guarantee driver/firmware version matches.  It works wonderfully today.
>>>>
>>>> Is it difficult to see why someone might want to keep the same attributes?
>>> No I can see that, should be a simple matter of sending David patches.
>> Isn't it David's obligation not to remove a highly reliable, working system?
> 
> I don't see why it should be David's job to add every conceivable feature
> to the code. 

Just whose job is it, exactly, to avoid regressions?

Why is it unfair to ask a patch author not to break stuff?

> And this is the pot calling the kettle black. You badly
> broke Marvell PATA support by setting the Marvell SATA devices to AHCI. I
> note you've still not fixed that after some months.

Even if we accept that at face value, which I don't (it's more a driver 
load order issue), that is no excuse for further regressions.

	Jeff