Subject: Re: [bug?] tg3: Failed to load firmware "tigon/tg3_tso.bin"

From: Jeff Garzik <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 07 Jul 2008 15:48:06 -0400

Alan Cox wrote:
>>> And this is the pot calling the kettle black. You badly
>>> broke Marvell PATA support by setting the Marvell SATA devices to AHCI. I
>>> note you've still not fixed that after some months.
>> Even if we accept that at face value, which I don't (it's more a driver 
>> load order issue), that is no excuse for further regressions.
> 
> So you are allowed to break stuff without fixing it (and driver load
> order issue is not as far as I can tell the case - the AHCI stuff means
> you lose the PATA port)

It is trivial to see -- both drivers compete for the same PCI IDs, 
0x6145 and 0x6121, but with different capabilities.  Load pata_marvell 
first, and it claims those PCI IDs first.

> How about we revert all the marvell changes - or would in truth be
> another case where the good done for most (SATA AHCI support) outweighs
> the bad for a few (PATA port problems) ?

What load order would you suggest?  pata_marvell-first order preserves 
the behavior that existed before the PCI IDs appeared in ahci, by 
ensuring it claims PCI IDs 0x6145 and 0x6121 first.

> Sorry Jeff but you don't get to jump up and down on David without being
> reminded that your own actions are not consistent with your words.

Your sidebar here doesn't change the fact that David's current firmware 
implementation takes away a tool currently in use, replacing it with 
another less-reliable tool.

	Jeff