Subject: Re: Printing the driver name as part of the netdev watchdog message

From: Steve Wise <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 08 Jul 2008 14:13:43 -0500

Roland Dreier wrote:
>  > I doubt it uses the RTNL semaphore elsewhere to protect
>  > against this path, which is the only protection these
>  > calls currently have.
>
> As far as I can tell from reading the code, the only places in cxgb3
> that use t3_read_flash() are in the netdevice's open and ioctl methods,
> and the ethtool get_drvinfo method.  So as far as I can tell the current
> code is fine as long as rtnl is held across get_drvinfo.
>
>  > Please don't bring up scarecrows, this looks like simply
>  > a bug which already exists.
>
> I don't even know how to take this.  "Please don't review our changes"??
> "Please don't report bugs"??
>
>   

So what is the conclusion here?  If the rtnl doesn't need to be held 
around calls to ethtool ops, then cxgb3 is broken.  In addition, the 
iw_cxgb3 driver is  currently broken too because a recent commit 
(f4e91eb4a81559da87a3843758a641b5cc590b65) accidentally removed 
acquiring of the rtnl before calling an ethtool op in cxgb3.  I want to 
resolve this.

So should I put the rtnl acquisitions back in iw_cxgb3?  Or fix cxgb3 to 
not assume rtnl is held?

Steve.