Subject: Re: [Bridge] bridging with gre tunnel

From: Patrick McHardy <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Jul 2008 14:15:14 +0200

Herbert Xu wrote:
> Philip Craig <[email-masked]> wrote:
>> Actually, this change doesn't really belong in GRE either, because
>> that forces you to choose between ethernet encapsulation and not.
>> It could be a new device that sits on top of GRE and simply does
>> ethernet encapsulation then passes it to the raw GRE device.
>> That's a lot of infrastructure for something so simple though,
>> and I don't think people will want to use both devices at once.
> 
> What's the problem with using Ethernet encapsulation on such a
> GRE device? If you're referring to the fact that user-space uses
> the encapsulation type to determine whether a device is a tunnel,
> then we should fix those tools instead.
> 
> Rather than trying to resuscitate the ioctl interface, please
> create a new extensible netlink interface and make ip(8) use it
> where available.

Or use rtnl_link, which was created for this purpose :)