Subject: Re: Current Git: BUG: unable to handle kernel paging request at 0000000001a40ca0

From: Dieter Ries <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2008 23:53:36 +0200

Dieter Ries schrieb:
> Vegard Nossum schrieb:
>> Hi,
Hi

>> Dieter: If this is reproducible, it would probably help quite a bit to
>> configure the kernel with CONFIG_SLUB_DEBUG and boot with
>> slub_debug=FZPUT (unless you already have CONFIG_SLUB_DEBUG_ON set, in
>> which case you are already running with the SLUB debugging at boot).
>> It might catch the corruption before it becomes fatal, or give us some
>> more clues anyway.

I tried to bisect the bug, which failed because there were too many 
kernels not booting with other problems, I guess bisecting just fails in 
the merge window.

With CONFIG_SLUB_DEBUG_ON the output looks different, unfortunately 
netconsole stops before those are transmitted.

As there are always some lines about e1000 in the backtraces, I tried to 
boot without LAN cable connected, and it worked, and crashed afterwards 
when I plugged the cable in, with a bug in net/core/dev.c.

I will search on tomorrow, as it is getting quite late now.

Should I copy the messages with CONFIG_SLUB_DEBUG_ON by hand, or are 
just some parts important?

cu
Dieter