Subject: Re: [RFC][PATCH 1/1] cxgb3i: cxgb3 iSCSI initiator

From: Jeff Garzik <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 08 Aug 2008 18:20:01 -0400

Jeff Garzik wrote:
> * however, giving the user the ability to co-manage IP addresses means 
> hacking up the kernel TCP code and userland tools for this new concept, 
> something that I think DaveM would rightly be a bit reluctant to do? You 
> are essentially adding a bunch of special case code whenever TCP ports 
> are used:
> 
>     if (port in list of "magic" TCP ports with special,
>         hardware-specific behavior)
>         ...
>     else
>         do what we've been doing for decades
> 
> ISTR Roland(?) pointing out code that already does a bit of this in the 
> IB space...  but the point is

grrr.   but the point is that the solution is not at all complete, with 
feature disconnects and security audit differences still outsanding, and 
non-hw-specific management apps still unwritten.

(I'm not calling for their existence, merely saying trying to strike the 
justification that current capability to limp along exists)

	Jeff