Subject: Re: Channel bonding with e1000

From: Carsten Aulbert <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 06 Sep 2008 10:53:44 +0200

Hi all,

Bill Fink wrote:
> Also check the respective PCI buses of the onboard NICs versus the
> addon NICs.  If one is PCI versus PCI-X or PCI-E, or are different
> speeds or bus widths, this can obviously significantly impact
> performance, especially when doing bonding.

I need to go back to Supermicro's manual for that one. The add-on ones
are definitely PCIe.

> 
> Of course nothing beats some quick performance tests to determine
> which is the better performing combination.
> 

Wisely put :)

Thanks for the input so far. We will start some testing sooner rather
than later to get more out of our file servers!

Cheers

Carsten