Subject: Re: [PATCH] cs89x0: add support for i.MX31ADS ARM board

From: Gilles Chanteperdrix <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2008 14:47:33 +0200

Lennert Buytenhek wrote:
> On Sun, Sep 14, 2008 at 04:13:45PM +0200, Gilles Chanteperdrix wrote:
> 
>>> I don't have the original patch in my netdev box anymore, but what
>>> seems to me should be done is to add a platform driver interface to
>>> the cs89x0 driver, like how most other non-PCI non-other-autoconf-
>>> supporting-bus net drivers do it.  (There aren't too many -- grep
>>> for platform_driver_register in drivers/net/*)
>>>
>>> Then the knowledge about I/O addresses and IRQ lines can live in the
>>> platform code (where it belongs) instead of having it all in the driver
>>> (where it doesn't belong).  And all the IXDP2351 and IXDP2X01 ifdefs
>>> can disappear as well.  And the ->readword()/->writeword() hacks that
>>> need to be done for IXDP2351 and IXDP2X01 and PNX can then just be an
>>> (optional) set of platform data methods, with a fallback to the default
>>> one if they aren't passed in.
>>>
>>> The question is whether someone wants to step up and do that work.
>>> cs89x0 has seen a lot of drive-by patching by people looking to satisfy
>>> their needs, but noone has stepped up to give it the proper love and
>>> care that it deserves.
>>>
>>> Gilles, are you willing to do the platform driver conversion?  If not,
>>> then I guess we should just merge this patch as-is (after you explain
>>> why you need to stub out reset_chip() on your board, as no other board
>>> seems to need this?).
>> Hi Lennert,
>>
>> When I published this patch, I had access to an i.MX31ADS board, and
>> getting Linux to work on this board was just a necessity to get my job
>> done. I did this by copying the parts I needed working (the serial
>> console and ethernet driver) from the Freescale tree.
>>
>> Now, I am no longer working on this, so I can not test any modification.
>> And I do not even know why people at Freescale did what they did.
> 
> I guess then we should just wait until the Freescale people submit it.

I will be able to test the modification soon. I will repost the patch on
linux-arm-kernel after this test.

-- 
                                                 Gilles.