Subject: Re: sys_paccept: disable paccept() until API design is resolved

From: Ulrich Drepper <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2008 16:17:25 -0700

Michael Kerrisk wrote:
> The patch below disables the new sys_paccept() for now.  Please
> apply for 2.6.27-rc, so that we do not release this API into
> the wild before a conclusion has been reached about its design.

There is no reason for that.

> The reasons for disabling paccept() are as follows:
> 
> * The API is more complex than needed.  There is AFAICS no demonstrated
>   use case that the sigset argument of this syscall serves that
>   couldn't equally be served by the use of pselect/ppoll/epoll_pwait +

It would unnecessarily require programs to be changed.  I've explained
that programs cannot efficiently use accept() and poll() when multiple
threads are involved.  This means in these situations you'll find a
single thread handling only the accept() calls.

> * The use of a sigset argument is not consistent with other I/O APIs
>   that can block on a single file descriptor (e.g., read(), recv(),
>   connect()).

This is because none of the other interfaces had (so far) be revised.
With this flawed argumentation you'd prevent any program ever to be made.

> * The behavior of paccept() when interrupted by a signal is IMO
>   strange:

You use your own opinion as the deciding factor?  The behavior differs
from other uses but is consistent with the accept() behavior.

> I believe that instead, a simpler API, consistent with Ulrich's
> other recent additions, is preferable:
> 
> accept4(int fd, struct sockaddr *sa, socklen_t *salen, ind flags);

The signal set wasn't actually my idea.  See:

http://marc.info/?l=linux-kernel&m=120909788728078&w=2

> At this point, I am hoping we either will get a counter-argument
> from Ulrich about why we really do need paccept()'s sigset argument,
> or that he will resubmit the original accept4() patch.

I have explained the need already. you just chose to ignore it.

- --
➧ Ulrich Drepper ➧ Red Hat, Inc. ➧ 444 Castro St ➧ Mountain View, CA ❖