Subject: Re: Machine Check Exception Re: NetDev! Please help!

From: Badalian Vyacheslav <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2008 14:36:05 +0400

> 2) Non-default qdiscs (any qdiscs added with tc): there is only one
> root qdisc (with its tree) as before, dequeued to all tx queues (if
> available). Since there is only one qdisc lock, and additional flag
> preventing other processes to run the qdisc at the same time, there
> is not so much advantage of SMP, except on tx locking. All previous
> tc configs should work without changes (except sch_prio and sch_rr
> used for multiqueuing, replaced by sch_multiq and act_skbedit now).
> Probably in some cases adding sch_multiq to a tree for separating
> qdisc queues per tx queues could be useful.
>   
Very thanks for detailed information!
Yeh! Its sound great for me. I also can stress test this feature in our
network if you will needed it.

Only i have 2 question ...

1. If kernel use default situation (no tc user create rules, simple
autocreate by network card driver/module) its will normal work with
traffic what must delivered "as is" (not shape)... like IPTV or other
multicast/unicast video stream...
If i understand logic
we have 8 cpu/core and 4 TX queue and 4 RX... one cpu linked to 1
TX/RX.... but if 1 cpu is burned by some process - this cpu will send
its packet later when other cpu and packet is shape... but streams must
go packet by packet to receive device... I understand that it simple
need use hash function for TX queue, but if i understand - RX can't
separate packets to different queues (its doing by hardware?) by hash
function and packets may shape in rx stage because one CPU get it letter
when nedded?
I do not wish to spend your time... only say if it will work normal by
default and i will sleep easy :)

2. I can locate module like sch_multiq at last 2.6.27-rc tree and not
have information of it in google... I need to know only one thing - what
params for hashing was planned for it?

Thanks and thanks again! And again sorry for my English.

Best regals, Badalyan Vyacheslav.