Subject: Re: [0/4] gre: Ethernet over GRE

From: Patrick McHardy <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 09 Oct 2008 14:12:44 +0200

Herbert Xu wrote:
> This series of patches add Ethernet over GRE support.  The user
> space interface is done with the rtnl_link mechanism.  I'll post
> the patches for iproute too.
> 
> There has been a small demand of such a tunneling mechanism that
> allows direct Ethernet connections over IP.  In the past many
> efforts have been made in this direction.  However, inadequacies
> with our user interface have foiled many of them.
> 
> Recently Patrick McHardy created the rtnl_link mechanism which
> finally allows tunnel configuration to be brought into the 21st
> century.  Having tried it I must say that it has been an absolute
> pleasure to use :)

Glad you like it :)

> This should be completely backwards compatible in that if you
> don't create Ethernet over GRE tunnels then your GRE experience
> should not differ one single bit from before.  However, you can
> manage your existing GRE interfaces using the new interface should
> you choose to do so.

These patches look good to me, thanks for doing this work.