Subject: Re: e1000e: sporadic "hardware error"s with Intel 82563EB on Supermicro X7DB3

From: "Hillier, Gernot" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2008 18:07:39 +0200

Hi there!

Graham, David wrote:
> It would help if you could provide a little more information. Could you
> provide (for one of each of the two configurations that you have - one
> with the IPMI card, one without):
> 
> 	lspci -t
> 	lspci -vvv -xxxx
> 	ethtool -e eth0

Ok, it turned out that we still can reproduce the problem - even after the
firmware upgrade. So I collected the information you requested from two
machines:

- BVSIM3 is the one with the IPMI card.
- BVSIM5 the one without the IPMI card.

As the output from the commands you requested is rather large, I uploaded
it to the following URLs instead posting it to the list, hope that's ok:

http://www.hillier.de/bvsim5-ethtool-e.txt
http://www.hillier.de/bvsim5-lspci-t.txt
http://www.hillier.de/bvsim5-lspci-vvv-xxxx.txt
http://www.hillier.de/bvsim3-ethtool-e.txt
http://www.hillier.de/bvsim3-lspci-t.txt
http://www.hillier.de/bvsim3-lspci-vvv-xxxx.txt

All commands were run in the error case, i.e. after e1000e said "Hardware
error".

> 	BIOS "IPMI" menus (I know you already gave us one, but both
> would be good)

BVSIM3 shows the IPMI menu I already provided
BVSIM5 shows no IPMI menu

Thanks in advance!

-- 
With kind regards,
Gernot Hillier
Siemens AG, CT SE 2, Corporate Competence Center Embedded Linux