Subject: Re: [PATCH] HTB updates class's bstats in one place

From: Patrick McHardy <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Oct 2008 10:21:25 +0100

Changli Gao wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 30, 2008 at 3:11 PM, Patrick McHardy <[email-masked]> wrote:
>> Independant of this statistics bug, according to your description
>> you want to measure departure rates (otherwise the measured rates
>> can't really be compared to the limit) and the current counters are
>> not really suitable for this since they count arriving packets.
>> So the only way to properly do this is to add seperate counters that
>> account for departing packets. I think this would be a good addition
>> since we've always been advocating to do this stuff in userspace,
>> but it would need some thought on how to minimize the impact for
>> people not needing it.
>>
>>
> In fact, only the counters of the leaf classes represent arriving
> rates, but the others represent departing rates. Is it right? Or does
> it need to be fixed?

Its not correct, but I wouldn't fix it at this time unless you can
suggest a good way that doesn't require to walk the entire hierarchy
during ->enqueue() just for the class counters.