Subject: Re: [RESEND] benet: BladeEngine 10Gb NIC driver

From: Jeff Garzik <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 03 Nov 2008 15:42:28 -0500

Greg KH wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 03, 2008 at 02:52:07PM -0500, Jeff Garzik wrote:
>> Greg KH wrote:
>>> On Mon, Nov 03, 2008 at 04:25:12AM -0800, Subbu Seetharaman wrote:
>>>> If we could get more specific feedback about the areas that require
>>>> cleanup, we can take care of them quickly.  
>>>> Since the last posting, we have brought up the driver in a PPC system
>>>> and fixed some endianness issues.  As soon as I have some specific
>>>> feedback, we can update the driver with these fixes as well.
>>>>
>>>> Please let me know as soon as the driver is in the staging area.
>>> Does someone have a pointer to the driver, so that we can see what is
>>> needed to be done?
>> It was in my email :)  Repeating,
>>
>> The 'benet' branch of
>> git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/jgarzik/netdev-2.6.git
>>
>> It should be suitable for pulling directly into staging.
> 
> Hm, call me extreemly stupid, but I don't see anything in that branch
> for this driver.
> 
> Here's what I did:
>   git fetch git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/jgarzik/netdev-2.6.git benet master:jeff
>   git checkout jeff
> 
> Even looking around at this tree with 'gitk --all' I don't see anything.
> So what did I do wrong here?

Well, the commit has been there long enough to mirror out, and show up 
on the web interface:

http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/jgarzik/netdev-2.6.git;a=shortlog;h=benet

therefore I am guessing there is some git user error here... but I could 
not say what, since I am unfamiliar with your style of git invocation.

I would recommend creating a new branch, or switching to an existing 
one, and then pulling into it.  Pulling from a branch always works in my 
experience, and that's what I've been doing since git was first written.

URL=git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/jgarzik/netdev-2.6.git
git checkout -b tmp master
git pull $URL benet

Regards,

	Jeff